Saturday, July 07, 2007

In honor of a "black lesbian, mother, warrior, poet"

In honor of Audre Lorde.


there are a couple of purposes to this blog. i want to use it to examine the intersecting identities in my life. what it means to be mother...feminist...student...woman...writer...teacher...all at the same time. how do i work within the confines of my identities, and how i break free from them. what it means to live at the intersection of the identities. lorde was constantly exploring her intersections. her theories of identity are quintessential for a succesful feminist movement. we must refuse to limit ourselves to either/or when we are all of the above. and this is my intent here. i want to explore what struggles i've come across. the way motherhood has changed me, for the better, or the worst. the ways in which i live daily encompassing all of the me's that exist. but i'll also use this blog to update about caden and baby elliot (on the way). i'll use it for random musings, pictures, scholarly writings i do on motherhood, and other conjectures not of the scholarly type. feel free to look around. feel free to comment. feel free to not. use it as you will...i certainly plan to.

If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. ~~~Audre Lorde

1 comment:

KM said...

right on, sister. that is all, and the most, we can do.